You are here: home> Beginnings> Highlights 1912-1980

Highlights 1912-1980

 


October 12, 1912

Arrival of the First Irish RGS missionaries from Burma: Batangas City
Foundresses: Sisters Mary Alphonsus Liguori Burke, Cyra O’Kane, Clare -Morrissey, Gabrielle Zunino
Philippines was under the Motherhouse in Angers, France


January 1913

Opening of St. Bridget’s Academy, Batangas

  August 14, 1921

St. Euphrasia’s School was established

  March 21, 1922

St. Domitilla’s School opened


1933

Beatification of St. Mary Euphrasia

  1935

First Filipina vocation: Sr. Assumption Ocampo left for her novitiate in Angers, France

  1937

33rd International Eucharistic Congress

  May 31, 1938

Sr. Mary Assumption H. Ocampo made her profession of vows as a Good Shepherd Sister. She is the first Filipina RGS

  December 7, 1941

Bombing of Pearl Harbor, beginning of World War II
St. Bridget’s Academy was closed.

  1942

Japanese Occupation/ Sisters went back to Batangas

  1943

St. Bridget’s Academy reopened

  1944

9 American Good Shepherd Sisters were among the 2,147 prisoners in Los Baños Internment Camp

  1945

Philippines was under Los Angeles Province

  1947

General Chapter

  1949

Transfer to 1043 Aurora Blvd. - Quezon City

  July 5, 1951

Villa Maria established, Banawa Hills - Cebu City

  November 10, 1952

Good Shepherd Convent founded - Baguio City

  May 2, 1957

Heart of Mary Villa inaugurated, Malabon

  July 30, 1958

Maryridge opened- Tagaytay City

  December 3, 1960

Creation of Philippine Province

  1960

General Chapter
Mother Thomas Aquinas Lee elected Superior General
Contemplatives of the Good Shepherd - Quezon City

  1961

Philippine Novitiate opened
Mater et Magistra
Pacem in Terris

  1962

Vatican Council II began
Religious Life Adaptation/Renewal

  May 1963

St. Bridget’s School, Buhi - Camarines Sur

  April 24, 1964

The first batch of novices under the newly established Philipine Novitiate made their first profession of vows: Srs. Lourdes Fabia, Rose Ababao, Jane Pineda, Marieta Velez and Teresita Ante.

  1965

Vatican Council II ended, reforms in the Church began

  1966

Populorum Progressio encyclical issued

  1967

Humanization of Structures/ Filipinization

  St. Bridget School -Quezon City was established

  1970

Foundation of Banilad., Cebu City
Pope Paul VI’s call to Justice and Poverty
Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conference

  April 12, 1970

Welcome House was founded- first crisis intervention center in the country - Manila

  August 15, 1970

Good Shepherd apostolate in Guam was established

  October 7, 1970

Sr. Christine Tan, RGS, was elected First Filipina Provincial Superior of the Good Shepherd Sisters

  June 8, 1971

Tahanan Community was founded
Reach out to the poor through community development and organization - San Andres, Manila

  November 1, 1971

Bacolod City (Girl’s Protectory)

  1971

Synod of Bishops/ Justice in the World
Provincial Chapter
Constitutional Convention

  December 8, 1971

Reach Out Center established in Davao City

  September 21, 1972

Martial Law was declared
Study on the Charism (prepared by International Apostolic Commission)

  1973

45 Filipina Missionaries
General Chapter

 
  February 11, 1974

General Council announced that the Hong Kong –Korea vice province was changed to a district dependent on Rome. Later, it became the Far East Province and included Thailand, Burma, Macau, Hongkong


1975

Maria Droste Beatification
Kibawe Parish-based community organization and parish administration
Maragusan Parish work and tribal minorities

  1976

Matalam parish work and lay leadership formation, family life
Guibang, Gamu, Isabela - catechetical work, formation of leaders

  October 8, 1976

Sr. M. Natividad Banaag was elected Provincial Superior

  1977

First Mindanao Regional Assembly

  1978

2nd Mindanao Regional Assembly

  June 1978

Kalilid, San Luis, Agusan del Sur - parish work, indigenous peoples

  1979

General Chapter/Regional Assemblies Echo
Leveriza, Manila - Ministry of social transformation

 
1980-2010