You are here: home> RGS - Heart of Mary ...> Historical Tidbits

Historical Tidbits

 

Historical Tidbits

·       March 1953 – opening of a small homey shelter for single expectant mothers in Aurora Boulevard, Quezon City, Philippines:  a response to the predicament of distressed young women who got pregnant out of wedlock, by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, a Congregation founded by St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier.

·       May 1957 – transfer to a property in Maysilo, Malabon on lease for ninety-nine years through the generosity of Monsignor Rufino J. Santos, then Archbishop of Manila; the new home was called Heart of Mary Villa in honor of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

·       February 7, 1958 – registration of Heart of Mary Villa-Good Shepherd Sisters, Inc.  with the Securities and Exchange Commission

·       April 18, 1968 – accreditation by the then Social Welfare Administration of the two-pronged services for women and children.

·       September 27, 1972 – launching of HMV outreach program and establishment of  Damayan Community Center.