You are here: home> News

RGS marks 181st anniversary of the Generalate

Submitted by: regina
On: 14/01/2016

The Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd, also known as Religious of the Good Shepherd (RGS) marks the 181st anniversary of the establishment of the Generalate.

It was on January 16, 1835 that Pope Gregory XVI approved the establishment of the Generalate, upon the request of Sr. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier, who served as General Superior until her death on April 24, 1868. 

Today, the Good Shepherd Sisters are present in 74 countries, among these are Myanmar and the Philippines.

Meanwhile, RGS Myanmar also celebrates today its 150th year of foundation, an occasion that is dear to the heart of the Good Shepherd Sisters in the Philippines since the first RGS missionaries to the country were Irish sisters stationed in Burma (now Myanmar). The Irish missionaries arrived in the Philippines on October 4, 1912.

Three Filipina sisters Ananita Borbon, Corazon Demetillo and Lydia Ebora who are currently in Myanmar for meetings organized by the Institute of Formation and Religious Studies (IFRS), will also represent the Philippines during the celebrations.

In the Philippines, the renovated Reception Center bldg at the Good Shepherd Convent in Quezon City will be blessed today. The building has offices for the Center for Overseas Workers, the St. Mary Euphrasia Integrated and Development Foundation, Inc, Ministry Team and serves as the Ruhama Residence for girls.