Good Shepherd Sisters mark 182nd anniversary of establishment of Generalate
Good Shepherd Sisters worldwide celebrate the 182nd anniversary of the Generalate. It was on January 16, 1835 that Pope Gregory XVI approved the establishment of the Generalateof Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd also known as Religious of the Good Shepherd (RGS) or Good Shepherd Sisters, with St. Mary Euphrasia as foundress and first superior general.
The apostolic sisters, like SME who followed Jesus the Good Shepherd who "contiunes to encompass with love all afflicted with human weakness. He looks for the lost one, brings back the strayed, tehnds the injured and makes the weak strong. He reveals God's mercy through a love which overcomes all sin and infidelity."
The contemplative sisters "witness the primacy of God and seek to be a means of reconciliation by prayer, gospel asceticism, solitude and silence." They pray for the church and the entire world and support the work of the apostolic sisters who are engaged in the activie ministry of reconciliation." (Const. 6)
The first Good Shepherd missionaries who arrived in the Philippines on October 4, 1912 were Irish sisters who were missioned in Myanmar.
Today the sisters in the congredation are grateful for the benefactors, friends, families and lay mission partners who hlep in the ministry to women and girls.